Posted Sat, 10/10/2009 –
Srinagar, October 10 (KMS): In occupied Kashmir, the Chief Justice of High Court has flayed the authorities for restricting the free movement of senior Kashmiri Hurriyet leader, Syed Ali Gilani, who has been placed under house since his release on September 8 from illegal detention at Chashmashahi sub-jail.

The High Court described as illegal the relentless restrictions imposed on Syed Ali Gilani, directing the authorities to lift the curbs and not to interfere with his movement. The petitions challenging the continued house arrest of the Hurriyet leader came up for hearing before Chief Justice, Barin Ghosh, on Friday. The High Court passed the orders on two petitions filed by senior counsel, Mian Abdul Qayoom, even though the occupation authorities tried to defend the house arrest saying it was for Gilani’s safety.

In his arguments, Mian Qayoom said that the authorities had no right to keep anyone under house arrest. He informed the court that Gilani’s one kidney had been removed and he was already on pacemaker. Describing Jammu and Kashmir as a police state, he said that the entire family of the Hurriyet leader had been placed under house arrest. Seeking permission for Gilani to visit Soura hospital for treatment, the senior counsel said that by denying him medical care, the puppet administration wanted to kill the aged leader.

The Chief Justice Barin Ghosh observed that the authority didn’t challenge the Court direction when it had quashed Gilani’s detention under draconian Public Safety Act. Now, the Court said, it was strange why the administration had placed him under house arrest. The Chief Justice said that the authorities had no right to make a jail out of a house. The Court said Gilani had the right of free movement and directed the administration to remove the restrictions imposed on Ali Gilani.

However, despite High Court orders, the Hurriyet leader continued to be under house arrest at his Hyderpora residence. Heavy contingents of police remained deployed outside the house while its gate was locked from outside. No one, including the mediamen, was allowed to meet the leader. A media team that went to meet Syed Gilani late Friday evening was asked to wait till the policemen on duty would get permission from higher-ups. However, the permission never came.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email