kashmir,Normal life paralysed for 9th consecutive day,[Protests, clashes continue in various parts of Kashmir]
SRINAGAR, Feb 17: Normal life was paralysed for the ninth consecutive day today in view of a general strike called by Hurriyat Conference (G) against the hanging of Mohammad Afzal Guru.
Despite tight security arrangements people held demonstrations at several places and clashed with police and para-military forces, which burst smoke shells and resorted to lathi-charge.
Reports from Gagran in Shopian said people held demonstrations there. The cops burst smoke shells and resorted to lathi-charge to disperse them. The protestors pelted stones and the clashes continued for some time. Some persons sustained injuries.
Police and para-military forces fired smoke shells and pepper gas shells and resorted to lathi-charge in Pulwama town. The incident occurred when people held protest demonstrations there and also pelted stones on an armoured vehicle of police.
Protestors also clashed with cops at Kanikadal area in old city of Srinagar today. The demonstrators also burnt tyres on roads.
Demonstrations were also held at Kangan by youth. They also pelted stones on police and CRPF.
Reports of protest demonstrations and clashes were also reported from Bandipora and Baramulla districts.
However, a police spokesman in a statement claimed that the situation remained peaceful in Valley today.
Today was the last day of the nine day long strike called by Hurriyat (G), which has asked the people to resume their normal work tomorrow. The faction had given a three day-long strike on February 9, later extended it by four days and on February 15 extended it by two more days.
Tight security arrangements were made by the authorities in sensitive areas of Valley today even as there was no curfew. The curfew was lifted yesterday morning but reimposed in some areas including Maisuma after clashes yesterday morning.
Because of the general strike, the normal life continued to be out of gear. The roads and markets wore a deserted look as people continued to remain indoors. Mostly police and paramilitary forces were out on roads. Transport was also off the roads. Only some private vehicles were seen plying on roads.
The Sunday market was also missing today. No roadside vendors, who form the part of Sunday market, were seen today.
The authorities said they would continue to keep a close watch on the situation in coming days. “While, the curfew has been lifted and Hurriyat (G) has asked the people to resume the normal work, we will not be complacent towards the situation,” said an official dealing with law and order.
Yesterday, central, north and south Kashmir had witnessed clashes at large number of places.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email