kashmir,13july1931.martyrs day...:..Several protesters injured in police action in Srinagar.:..
Srinagar, July 13 2013: Kashmiris on both sides of the Line of Control and the world over observed Kashmir Martyrs’ Day, today, to convey to the international community that India has failed to subdue the Kashmiri people by the use of brute force and they are determined to continue their liberation struggle, against all odds.
It was on this day in 1931 that the Dogra forces had shot dead 22 Kashmiris, one after the other, outside the Central Jail in Srinagar. They had gathered to show solidarity with one, Abdul Qadeer who was being tried in the jail for persuading people to defy the Dogra rule. In Indian administrated Kashmir, the Day was marked by total shutdown by the people and stringent restrictions in all major cities and towns by the authorities.

All routes leading towards Srinagar city were barricaded to prevent people from marching towards the Martyred Graveyard at Naqshband Sahib, where the 1931 martyrs are buried. Call for the march had been given by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Syed Ali Gilani. They along with other Hurriyat leaders paid glowing tributes to the Kashmiri martyrs. Syed Ali Gilani in a statement said that observance of the strike had showed that the people of Kashmir had not forgotten their martyrs. He said that the ongoing movement would continue till a single Indian trooper was present in occupied Kashmir.

On the other hand several people were injured when Indian police resorted to brute force against a peaceful march in Srinagar.A large number of people took out a procession from Srinagar’s historic Jamia Masjid and marched towards the Naqashband Sahab (RA) Shrine to pay tributes to the martyrs of 13th July 1931. However, the police and paramilitary personnel stopped them near the Martyrs’ Graveyard, lobbed tear-smoke shells and fired pellets to disperse them. The demonstrators shouted pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. Many protesters received pellet injuries during the protests while dozens of youth were arrested by the police.

Tension gripped other areas of Srinagar after residents came to know that police had used force against the peaceful protesters trying to enter the Martyrs’ Graveyard.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email