Islamabad Jan 13: Pakistan Army on Monday termed allegations by the Indian army chief over violations of the Line of Control (LOC) as baseless and contrary to facts on the ground, reiterating that Pakistan was respecting the ceasefire on the disputed border in ‘letter and spirit.’
In a statement released by the Inter-services Public Relations (ISPR) on Monday evening, the military spokesperson said that the allegations were contrary to the facts on ground and that the Pakistan Army respects the ceasefire agreement.
The spokesperson added that the situation along the disputed border had improved after the meeting of the Director Generals of Military Operations (DGMOs) of Pakistan and India met in late December.“Such accusation and provocative statements are regrettable and counterproductive,” the statement further read.
India warns it will retaliate to attacks on LoC
On Monday, the Indian Chief of Army Staff General Bikram Singh said that his country had avenged the deaths of its soldiers allegedly killed by Pakistan along the LoC and had inflicted casualties on the Pakistani army, the Hindustan Times reported.
Gen Singh further warned that India could not be expected to stick by the rules if Pakistan did not.
Quoting Pakistani news reports that 10 Pakistani soldiers were killed and another 11 injured in recent clashes along the LoC, Gen Singh claimed that those casualties had been inflicted by Indian troops. “Our boys have done a stupendous job. They have retaliated well… and done their bit.”
In a press conference on Monday, Gen Singh described LoC violations as a “mini war”. He added that the Indian Army would give a “befitting response” in any sector where Indian soldiers were fired on.