burhan 3yeare old shaheed kashmir2015_toddler burhan familyGreater Kashmir #Burhan #Toddler From the newspapers of Srinagar:
Holds on to dad’s chest after bullets hit him| Kids from his school join funeral prayers
A group of women were wailing in a small lawn of the house of Bashir Ahmed Bhat at Sagipora village, some 18 kms from main town of Sopore in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Saturday. They were mourning the killing of Bashir who was killed by unidentified gunmen yesterday. And all of a sudden, the shrieks grew louder and women started beating their chests as the body of three-year-old Burhan—the son of Bashir Ahmad—reached here from a Srinagar hospital.
Srinagar: Sagipora is a picturesque hamlet in Sopore, falling on the right side of Srinagar-Baramulla highway. A dilapidated road leads to the house of slain father-son duo.

“What shall we do now? We lost everything,” cried Burhan’s uncle, Ghulam Qadir after seeing the body of his nephew. He instantly broke down.

Burhan was hit by a bullet in his abdomen when unidentified gunmen fired indiscriminately at the father-son duo here on Friday evening. Bashir, a former militant, died on the spot while Burhan was referred to SK Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) where he succumbed to his injuries this morning.

A pall of gloom descended on the entire village after the arrival of Burhan’s body.

As the toddler’s body was taken for funeral, two of his neighbourhood friends, were trying hard to be in the first row. “He was our friend,” they said before bidding adieu to their class-mate.

The kids were whisked away by their parents soon after the funeral.

“Our sons are not safe. See what happened to Burhan. God will punish his killers. Nobody is safe here now,” their parents said.

Hundreds of people participated in the funeral prayers of Burhan amid pro-freedom and pro-Islam slogans.
A small grave had been dug by locals next to Burhan’s father in a graveyard, barely few hundred meters away from the house of the bereaved family. The boy was studying in pre-nursery class in Shah Memorial Welkin Educational Trust Sopore.

Burhan was shifted to SKIMS Soura in a critical condition on Friday evening where doctors operated upon him till late night.

“He had a bullet injury in his abdomen. We tried our best to save him, but he succumbed at 6:30 am on Saturday,” said a doctor at SKIMS.

Pervez Ahmed Bhat, younger brother of slain Bashir Ahmad, said his brother was most gentle and people-friendly. “He was an active militant in early ‘90s. He served three years in prison and was released later. Since then, he was helping his father in farming, besides running a small provisional store outside his house,” Pervez said. “The death of my brother and nephew has killed all our dreams. My brother had constructed a separate house in the vicinity and wanted Burhan to be a doctor.”

Bashir left behind a young widow and a 15-month daughter, Hoorain. With little Burhan’s death, the Bhat family has witnessed third tragedy. “Bashir was our elder brother. Our second brother Firdous went missing and we later came to know that he was killed in an encounter in Rajouri,” said Ghulam Qadir, Bashir’s another brother. “We can’t bear this tragedy. Their killers should have killed us too.”

Qadir said soon after his brother finished Maghrib prayers on Friday at a nearby Markazi Jamia Masjid, gunmen who had made several rounds of the locality on a bike that was without a number plate, caught Bashir’s collar and took him away from the Masjid.

“They were roaming in the locality earlier and had stopped at the Masjid with an excuse that their bike had no petrol. Burhan was accompanying his father as he had insisted him for a chocolate,” Qadir said. “Burhan was holding the hand of his father when gunmen fired the first shot at Bashir, right on his heart. They fired many bullets at Bashir that hit his stomach and a belly. One bullet hit Burhan’s belly, but he still didn’t leave his father’s hand. They got separated only after locals rushed to the spot.”

Bashir’s uncle, Ghulam Muhammad Lone, said as residents reached the spot they chased the killers and “managed to catch hold of one of them.”

“The other gunmen lobbed a grenade towards locals which didn’t explode,” he said. “We took Bashir to a hospital but he had died on the spot.”

Lone said Burhan was shifted to SKIMS where he breathed his last on Saturday morning. “The killers were not humans. They were merciless as they killed a little angel,” Lone said.

Many residents here stated the gunmen were roaming on a bike in Sagipora for five hours and later came up with an excuse that they had no petrol. “Their bike had no number plate.

How is it possible that they were not stopped by army or police as they were carrying weapons along,” a group of residents told Greater Kashmir. “We wonder why army or police didn’t spot a number plate-less bike in the area, which is considered as highly sensitive.”

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Sopore, Abdul Qayoom said police have already registered two separate murder cases. “Investigations have already been started into the killings,” he said.

Courtesy: Greater Kashmir

Print Friendly, PDF & Email