protest 1782016 y1Srinagar, Aug 16:Notwithstanding their claim of exercising ‘maximum restraint’, government forces resorted to unrestrained firing on boys playing cricket and men coming out of mosques after prayers in south Kashmir on Monday.
In the evening, a relative informed Bashir Ahmad Sofi of Jablipora Bijbehara that his 10-year-old son Irfan had been taken to hospital after being injured in police firing. Bashir, 45, thought the worst could be a pellet injury. However, that was not the case. Irfan, who was playing cricket with friends near Jinazgah (meant for offering funeral prayers), had been hit by a tear smoke shell in the head.
Irfan’s skull bones have been fractured impacting his brain. “He is in medically induced coma since Monday after he was brought here. That was the only option to keep him alive,” a doctor told Rising Kashmir.
“Irfan is a very critical and difficult case to handle as he was bleeding inside which is worrying us. Although we have done two emergency surgeries on him but he is still very critical,” he added.
Irfan’s father said he had gone to play cricket with friends after there was relaxation in the curfew when police and CRPF personnel fired at them.
“Police and CRPF men fired bullets, pellets and tear smoke shells indiscriminately at boys, including my son, who was playing cricket. It was unprovoked and unjustified because there was no protest or stone pelting going on at that place,” he added.
In a similar incident at Malangpora (Awantipora) dozens of youth were injured when CRPF personnel directly fired at them while they were playing cricket.
“I was standing behind stumps as wicketkeeper when bullet hit me in the glottal region. I was lucky to survive otherwise their intention was to kill us as they fired indiscriminately like an ambush party,” said Hilal Ahmad Zargar, one of the injured.
In Tral CRPF and SOG personnel opened fire on worshippers when they were leaving Masjid after Asr prayers injuring many people. Muhammad Ashraf, 37, was hit by bullet on right shoulder and is presently admitted in SMHS Hospital. “The bullet had fractured his elbow bone and we have put him under observation,” a doctor told Rising Kashmir.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email