Srinagar, April 01 :Eyewitnesses and relatives of Zahid Ganai – who was killed due to the firing of Indian forces on protesters in Chadoora area of Badgam on Tuesday – have said that he might have survived if the men in uniform did not stop the ambulance carrying him to hospital.
Relatives told media that Zahid was shot by Indian forces’ personnel in the neck. They said that when some youth took him to Sub District Hospital Chadoora, Indian police started firing teargas shells on them aggravating his injury.

“When doctors at Sub District Hospital referred Zahid to SMHS, the forces again fired teargas canisters on ambulance that carried Zahid which further delayed his treatment,” said Mueen, Zahid’s cousin.

At Jahangir Chowk in Srinagar again, he said, forces stopped the ambulance for 10 minutes that deteriorated the condition of Zahid, and he stopped responding.

“Zahid was very unresponsive, but we could feel that he is alive. But when police stopped him at Jehangir Chowk, he stopped giving those little sign of life as well,” said Mueen, who was accompanying Zahid to hospital.

The callousness of Indian police that stopped the ambulance from reaching the hospital on time cost Zahid his life, the family members said.

A surgeon at SMHS hospital who has actively worked during the 2016 uprising said on condition of anonymity, “It’s a crime to stop an ambulance carrying a critically injured patient. The delay in reaching to hospital can aggravate the problem of the patient and he might collapse.”

“The doctors could have tried to save Zahid, but he arrived when a huge amount of blood was lost and he had died on way to hospital,” he added.

Pertinently, stopping the ambulances ferrying critically injured patients to hospital has become a routine for Indian forces’ personnel. In the 2016 uprising the ambulance drivers were beaten up for carrying the injured and the patients were made to wait for hours inside the ambulances that don’t have the emergency life support system.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email