Gulshan Akhtar, mother of slain youth Tanveer Wani, who was shot dead by army soldiers last Friday in Beerwah town, still calls for his son in a broken Kashmiri ascent despite knowing he would never return to her.
Deep into the narrow lanes of Beerwah town lies the single storied house of Muhammad Akbar Wani – a stone querier. Gulshan Akthar, who hails from Kolkata, is heartbroken and cannot utter a word except repeating the name of her eldest son Tanveer.

While recalling the incident that led to Tanveer’s death, an eyewitness said, “Tanveer wasn’t part of the crowd that confronted the army men. He was shot dead intentionally. He was hit in head.”
The family while recounting the pious and humble nature of their son said that he was their backbone. “He had never been part of any protests until now how could he be killed for pelting stones. He was simply returning home for a lunch on Friday when he was shot dead. He was a hard working tailor who had managed us this house we would have only dreamt of in this colony,” said his brother Shabir Ahmad.
His lone sister Farida Akhtar said, “My brother had taken loan for my marriage last year as we were running out of cash after the unrest. He did everything at his own to feed the family of five. He was our lone bread winner.”

“I was returning from my paddy fields when a girl informed me that my son has been killed. I rushed to Gondipora and saw my son in pool of blood. I fainted at the hospital,” said his father Muhammad Akbar Wani.
Denouncing the reports doing rounds on social networking sites that the family was offered Rs 5 lakh compensation, his brother Shabir said, ” We didn’t get any compensation nor did anyone from the government approach us. We want the accused should be booked under section 302 for murder.”
Another injured youth Muhammad Ibrahim who was hit by a bullet in his right shoulder while recalling the incident said, “’For a moment I thought I was dead. I somehow caught hold of my wound and rushed into nearby neighborhood where my wound was tightened with a head scarf before I was rushed to Primary Health Center Gondipora.”
He said, “The situation was not so bad that only bullets could have controlled it.”
Police record statements of eyewitness
Police have recorded statements of at least four eyewitnesses into the killing of Tanveer Ahmed by 53 Rashtriya Rifles on July 21, a police official said.
Talking to Greater Kashmir a senior police officer said that a FIR No. 74 /17 under section 307 RPC stands registered against 53 RR at Police Station Beerwah.
According to locals a police team visited the spot where the killing took place on Beerwah Magam road and took photographs of the scenes on the spot.
“We have recorded statements of four persons. Law will take its own course. We will be completing the investigation within a week’s time and further details will be shared accordingly,” another police officer said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email