By M A Mir
“After news of the incident broke, protesters gathered in the Abbaspur market and staged an anti-India rally condemning Indian aggression”
MUZAFFARABAD: Three UN observers narrowly escaped the Indian army’s attack along the Line of Control (LoC) in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) on Wednesday with two civilians being seriously injured in the incident.
Members of the United Nations Military Observers Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) were interacting with locals on the current ceasefire violations in the area when they came under attack.
The victims received bullet wounds in the Abbaspur sector of the Rawalkot district in the Poolas village.
They were identified as Sardar Saghir and Muhammad Azam Qureshi, residents of Poolas and Tarooti.
They were shifted to the Abbaspur hospital where their condition is said to be stable. The UN observers also reached the hospital to inquire after the injured persons health.
According to local police, the UN observers had already informed the Indian army of their visit along the LoC in the Abbaspur sector.
After news of the incident broke, protesters gathered in the Abbaspur market and staged an anti-India rally condemning its aggression.
Protesters were chanting “go India go back and we want freedom” slogans.
“We want the international community to take notice of the Indian forces targeting civilians along the LoC,” one of the protesters said.
Opposition leader in AJK Legislative Assembly Chaudhry Muhammad Yaseen condemned the attack and termed it naked aggression.
“It is normal for India to murder civilians,” he said, adding, “The attack on the UN observers is a sign that India doesn’t want peace in the region.”