Srinagar 09/26/2009:After being introduced in the General Assembly Hall as the “leader of the revolution, the President of the African Union and the king of kings of Africa”, Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi shattered protocol by giving a rambling speech that stretched for 90 minutes instead of the allotted 15.
The main point of his speech was a demand for an African seat on the Security Council. He also said that Kashmir should be an independent entity.
Here are some of the points made by the Libyan leader:
• Security Council “is political feudalism for those who have a permanent seat”. “It should not be called the Security Council, it should be called the Terror Council”.
• Opening the doors of the UNSC for big powers would “add more poverty, more injustice, more tension at the world level…There would be high competition between Italy, Germany, Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Philippines, Japan, Argentina, Brazil…”
• Waved aloft a copy of the UN charter and seemed to tear it up, saying he did not recognize the authority of the document
• “Kashmir should be an independent state, not Indian, not Pakistani. We should end this conflict. It should be a Ba’athist state between India and Pakistan”
• Offered to move the UN headquarters to Libya because leaders coming here had to endure jet lag and because the understandable security against another attack on New York by the al-Qaeda was too stringent. Courtesy NYT/PTI